Welcome to FanCruft – Anime Reviews and Suggestions
FanCruft recommends and reviews anime. For our purposes, anime is either animation primarily produced or directed in Japan after ~1975 (we don't review really old stuff). Animation created in other countries which is clearly intended to mimic the "drawn" 2D animation style of Japanese animation after ~1985.
FanCruft © 2011 Nic Smith. Individual comments as noted.
FanCruft Suggested Style And Notes For Reviews
- Character names: The name that's most commonly used in the most recent official English dub is preferred. Other names that point out a distinct character are acceptable. When no official dub is available, use your best judgment.
- NO HENTAI REVIEWS. If it's on Netflix or Hulu, it's almost certainly ok. If it's got people doing it, it's almost certainly not (but note important artistic exceptions such as Kara no Kyokai). However, we'd rather make the mistake of putting something in the database that doesn't belong than permanently leaving out an artistic work.
- Reviews should be in good taste, even if the anime is not.
- Use good grammar and spelling. American English is slightly preferred (I'm from the U.S., so the articles that FanCruft is starting out with are already in this style). But any form of English is acceptable as long as it's more or less readable.
- Longer reviews are better, but don't go over three pages of text in any case; no one is going to read your dissertation on the hidden Etruscan symbolism of Neon Genesis Evangelion here.
- Keep in mind that the first hundred words or so might show up in search results.